Saturday, May 06, 2006

Bouncing Off

Part of living life for the Lord is telling the truth even when, as a movie line so aptly announces, "You can't handle the truth." I did this in a Christian setting not too long ago. For three months, people were making assumptions based on third or fourth-party gossip. They began telling lies and spreading false rumors. When I got word of what was happening behind my back, I told the truth numerous times. Did anyone care? No. Why? Because the stories that festered for so long that were all completely untrue were the only thing people gave any credit to.

I live in an older neighborhood that has a lot of air traffic. Commercial flights, smaller planes, helicopters, and ground traffic lead to a lot of noise - especially at night. Tonight I stood outside for a little while and noticed that all of these noises were bouncing off of the buildings and walls that were around. A plane passing overhead sounded like it was coming from four different directions. Things bounce off things. There's some scientific formula in there somewhere but I never was that great at science!

That bouncing got me to thinking about the times when I told the truth. Because of the lies and rumors that these people told, when the truth started to come out, they had to take action. So they started making up more things. They came hard at me with words and false accusations that I won't write here. These statements came in letters, e-mails, phone calls, and voice messages all of which I have. Maybe someday I'll post what was written and said. These words were told in anger, rage, and vengeance that I had never seen before. And I thought politics was bad! For the next four months, I was attacked.

These comments get me to the point I'm making here. As I've said, things bounce off of things. However, words sink in. I've never seen anyone who is personally attacked go away with the thoughts that the words just said are nothing. Words hurt.

God knew that people would use their words for wrong reasons so he divinely included these words of warning in the Bible. Take a look at these verses:

Likewise deacons must be reverent, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy for money,
-1 Timothy 3:8 (NKJV)

And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell.
-James 3:6 (NKJV)

For “He who would love life And see good days, Let him refrain his tongue from evil, And his lips from speaking deceit.
-1 Peter 3:10 (NKJV)


I hope that these people have learned from their sins and repented. I would hate to see these things continue happening to others.

The simple truth is this: Before you speak or write anything using words, think first and use them to uplift. Then, when the words sink in, they and you will be remembered for good times in life instead of bad times.

Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name.
-Hebrews 13:15 (NKJV)

No comments: